ICSE CLASS 8 BIOLOGY SAMPLE PAPER – 2
Class VIII Biology
Paper – 2
Time: 2 hrs Max. Marks:75
1. All questions are compulsory.
2. Questions 1 to 15 carry 1 mark each.
3. Questions in 2A and 2B carry 1 mark each.
4. Questions in 3A and 3B carry 1 mark each.
5. Question 4A and 4B carry 5 marks each.
6. Question 5A and 5B carry 5 marks each.
7. Question 6A and 6B carry 5 marks each.
8. Question 7A and 7B carry 5 marks each.
Choose the correct answer out of the four available choices given below each question. 
1. The exocrine part of pancreas secretes ___________.
(a) Bile juice
(b) Pancreatic juice
(c) Gastric juice
(d) None of the above
2. The leaves of __________ can give rise to a new plant.
3. In which of the following emergencies, a tourniquet is tied?
(c) Snake bite
(d) Heart attack
4. The heart is a muscular organ made up of __________ muscles.
(d) Both 1 and 2
5. Leishmania donovani is the causative agent for ____________.
(a) Sleeping sickness
(b) Athlete’s foot
6. Ringworm is caused by
7. The term ‘ecosystem’ is derived from the Greek word ‘oikos’ meaning
(a) Body weight
8. Grass → ______→ Tiger. Which of the following best fits in the above food chain?
9. A butterfly in its development from larva to adult shows _______.
(d) Both (1) and (2)
10. If the xylem vessels of a plant are plugged _________.
(a) The leaves will turn yellow
(b) No food will be made
(c) The plant will wilt
(d) The plant will continue to grow
11. Which of the following is a false fruit?
12. Universal donors belong to the blood group
13. ________ is a cross-breed cow milch species.
(a) Red sindhi
(b) Karan swiss
14. The absence or low number of clotting factors results in a rare condition called ________.
(b) Sickle cell anaemia
15. Marasmus is caused due to lack of _______.
(d) Both (1) and (2)
(A) Give a scientific word for the following: 
1. Type of interaction in which one partner receives advantage while the other is at loss.
2. Domesticated animals reared for food or other uses.
3. The process of the union of two gametes.
4. Protruding part of the throat seen in boys.
5. The membranous covering of the heart.
(B) Fill in the blanks and rewrite the sentences: 
1. __________ is the seat of intelligence and consciousness.
2. Phloem chiefly consists of _________ and companion cells.
3. In_________both the interacting species are benefited.
4. Ferns reproduce asexually by __________.
5. _____________vaccine is given for poliomyelitis.
(A) Match the items in column I with the appropriate items in column II. 
(B) Study the diagram below and answer the questions that follow: 
1. Name the gland above the kidney?
2. Name two glands that are associated with the digestive system through their secretions? (endocrine glands)
3. Which hormone is made up of iodine?
4. What is a mixed gland? Give an example?
i. Name the parts A, B, C and D.
ii. State the function of part A.
(B) Draw a neat diagram of the following and only, label the parts mentioned against it. 
1. Nerve cell
2. Section of artery and vein
(A) Give one point of difference between the following on the basis of what is given in the
1. Calyx and corolla (function)
2. Fry and fingerlings (definition)
3. Red blood cell and white blood cell (structure)
4. Asexual reproduction and sexual reproduction (gametes)
5. Hypogeal germination and epigeal germination (cotyledons)
(B) Choose the odd one out and give the category for the remaining three. 
1. Thyroid stimulating hormone, Growth hormone, Adrenocorticotropic hormone,
Adrenaline, Anti-diuretic hormone
2. Nitrogen, Phosphorus, Potassium, Iron
3. Pomphret, Tilapia, Bombay duck, Snapper, Mackerel
4. Root, Stem, Leaf, Seed, Fruit
5. Stigma, Style, Embryo sac, Anther, Egg
(A) What is a reflex arc? Answer the following in the correct sequence: 
1. The motor neuron passes the impulse to an effector, which carries out the action in response to the stimulus.
2. An association neuron transmits the impulse from the sensory neuron to a motor neuron
3. A sensory neuron conducts the impulse from the receptor to the spinal cord.
4. A receptor receives a stimulus.
(B) Define the following terms: 
1. Blood transfusion
3. Gestation period
1. Give scientific reasons: 
a) Adolescents need to plan their diet and lifestyle to maintain a healthy body.
b) Yeast is used in bakery products.
c) The scrotum lies outside the body cavity.
2. A man was suffering from diabetes. He was urinating frequently in copious amounts
resulting in loss of water. Which type of diabetes is this and which hormone is
responsible for it? 
1. What is a food pyramid? What is the role of food pyramid in the functioning of
2. Explain the method of asexual reproduction in plants by any one sub-aerial stem. (Draw a diagram if necessary).